Camper Trailer on the Kidson <span class="highlight">Track</span> (<span class="highlight">Wapet</span> Road)

I am another newbie, just joined with the hope of getting lots of the knowledge that is obvious on this site. I am planning a trip next year which includes doing the Gibb River Rd, then wanted to come across the canning to go down the Gary highway, David Carnegie Rd then back up the Sandy Blight Junction Rd if I can get a permit. My question is: What is the Wapet rd like for camper trailers. I haven't used one before and was proposing to get say an Aussie swag (2nd hand). would it be ok? The map says some big sand Dunes on it. As a second question I assume the gatherings section in here would be the place to see if anyone would be interested in such a trip?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Steve M1 (WA) - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:06

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:06
Hi Alan

You should have no trouble towing an Aussie Swag camper along the Wapet track as the sand hills aren't an issue. It is a bit overgrown in some places and you may get a few scratches. With a well prepared vehicle you should have no problems.
Steve M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 429986

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:15

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:15
Hi Alan,

I see from your profile that you have a 4Wd with low range and that in my opinion is essential. Given that; you won’t have any problems at all on the Kidson track towing a proper off road trailer.

Your main concerns will be corros, dips and wash outs. It’s best to just drive to the conditions of the road.

As for big sand dunes I didn’t see any that would cause any problems and we drove the track only a few months ago.

I have an off road trailer and wouldn’t hesitate to take it on the Kidson.

Cheers
Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 429987

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:41

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:41
Agree with what everyone else has said....but......be aware that you will experience some of the most bone jarring corrugations in the world on the Wapet....I don't think it's seen a blade in 50+ years. Only one other track that can equal the Wapet IMHO and that is the Gunbarrel from Everhard eastwards.
AnswerID: 429991

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:55

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:55
I found the Wapet in pretty good condition (relatively speaking of course). A few wash-aways here and there and closed in with vegetation but little in the way of corrugations. Video of it in this blog which may give you some idea.

Wapet up to and past Razor Blade Bore.

The Sandy Blight is where you'll find the corrugations. Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 429993

Follow Up By: Member - Alan W (INT) - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 17:28

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 17:28
Thanks for the feedback guys, the video is good Mick O, gives me a good idea, no worse than the canning and Anne Beadell which I have done. The worst corrugations I have seen are about the last 400k going east on the Anne beadell.
My main reason for the question of the trailer is I have always been one to complain of trailers s####ing up good tracks, particularly dunes, and don't want to be a hypocrite and ruin acces to some of the larger dunes.
FollowupID: 700821

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 18:43

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 18:43
Alan,

You've some experience with the sort of tracks and country you're thinking of travelling, and the advice above is coming from very experienced people. I agree that you should have no problems (provided it stops raining out there!)

You have a 4WD and obviously know how to use it.

For the benefit of others though, a 4wd is NOT ENOUGH for this sort of travel! You need to be prepared and equipped to deal with mechanical issues. Can you fix a punctured tyre? burst hose? What will you do if the radiator starts leaking, or worse still, if you bash a hole in the sump? (What's a sump? Don't know.....then don't go!) Are you able to handle all those things that normally you'd hand over to someone else to fix? (well maybe not all, but the little ones and some of the middle sized ones)

Very important on a trip like this that you know the weak points. You should know your vehicle and how to use it. Experience is important. High on the list - what tyre pressures to use in sand and rough conditions, consequences for maximum speed, what risks, why would you carry a tube for tubeless tyres? Do you have a decent air compressor? After you've dealt with the stuff on the ground, move up and look for other weakness, not forgetting the ones holding the steering wheel!!

I'm not concerned for you Alan, but the above responses might provide false security for those less experienced.

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 430004

Follow Up By: Member - Alan W (INT) - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 20:14

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 20:14
Thanks John,
What you say is vey true; After experiencing a broken steering idler bolt and a fuel tank dropped onto the road, I can vouch that anything can happen. If Anything I carry too much: Often the one that carries the most spares fails due to the extra weight.
I always carry fencing wire, welding rods, cables and glassses as well as the usual miriad bolts , fuses elec wire, oil,air, fuel filters, hoses, tape, that bog for welding metal fuel tanks etc, etc. The best security is to travel with someone who is like prepared.

Alan
FollowupID: 700834

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 20:41

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 20:41
Totally agree Alan. A compatible companion (and vehicle) can save a lot of time on the end of a shovel!

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 700838

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 21:02

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 21:02
Totally agree Alan. A compatible companion (and well equipped vehicle) can save a lot of time on the end of a shovel too! Spare belts, hoses, etc, etc are important, but not to be overlooked is the advantage of having a spare competent driver. You must rely on your own resources, and sharing the maintenance and use of the vehicle can develop competencies that could be very important if disaster strikes and one member of the party is incapacitated. Not trying to be a pessimist, but we've seen too many in remote places that simply aren't aware of the extent to which they must rely on their own resources and abilities. It's a great country out there and I'd encourage anyone to experience it, but it's easy to overlook the extent to which many of us have become reliant on others to provide support when things go wrong.

Cheers

John
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 700842

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 07:30

Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 07:30
G'day, just travelled the KidsonTrack with a trailer, no problem at all, just be prepared for lots of scratches as the track is very overgrown.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 430057

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 07:49

Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 07:49
Hi Alan,

My partner and I did a trip from Eighty Mile Beach, along the WAPET to well 33, then Gary Junction Rd to Kintore and from Kintore along the Sandy Blight Junction Rd to Docker river in July of this year.

The day before we hit the WAPET we me 2 couples in 100Series Landcruiser towing camper trailers that had just come off the WAPET. Whilst they had a lot of scratches and lost 1 wing mirror, they had a relatively smooth if not slow trip, taking 3 days to do the crossing.

As we weren't towing and were obviously lighter, we found it somewhat easier navigating the worst of the overgrown sections and had a truly amazing and satisfying trip. The worst section is at the western end where it is quite overgrown and the eastern end has sections of bad corrugations but not kidney damaging.

The Gary Junction Rd was good, wide and compressed nicely, trouble free.

Sandy Blight is a goat track, heavy corrugations make it very slow going with an average speed for us of between 15 and 30 KPH depending on how bad.

There are some dunes on the SBJ with tight bends, nothing to technical but keep an eye out for sand flags coming the other way. Other than that, an absolutely great trek through there and I cant wait to get back, corrugations and all.

We were in a 09 DMAX with a combined weight of 2700 KG's. For these sections we had an average fuel consumption of 8 Km's per litre. We were running Bridgestone Dueller 694LT's at 24 PSI on the front and 26 PSI on the rear.

It really was a fantastic trip and we cant wait to go back there so get there, take it easy, drive to conditions and you will have a great trip. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Tony
AnswerID: 430060

Follow Up By: Member - Alan W (INT) - Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:06

Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:06
Thanks for the feedback Tony John,

Yes, saw the extent of overgrowth on the Kidson on Mick's video. You get that and part of life. I experienced a lot of that when early in the season in the canning after a good wet season,lost a radio aerial and got lots of scratches. Tony, I have heard that SBJ is well worth doing, hence my plan. Thanks for the info.

Alan
FollowupID: 700883

Sponsored Links